Remote Work Certificate
Remote work (also known as telework) is a work arrangement that does not require employees to work from a central location, instead allowing a worker to complete their assigned duties from home or other self-selected location. Remote work opportunities have increased by 173% since 2005, which means that there are employment opportunities regardless of where you live.
Washington State University Extension is partnering with Utah State University Extension to offer the Remote Worker Certificate to Washington residents to prepare them to take advantage of remote work opportunities.
The 9 modules of this 4-week course will help you build skills that make an effective remote worker, whether as an employee, entrepreneur, or freelancer.
- The course will take approximately 30 hours over four weeks
- There will be one interactive workshop each week with other students and coaches
- The course work is spread over 9 modules.
- You will be assigned a coach to provide support during the course
- The registration fee is $299.
- Participants will receive a course certificate upon completion and join a growing alumni network, where you can share and receive information, job postings, and tips moving forward
Participation in the course requires:
- A reliable broadband internet connection
- Test my internet connection
- Your download speed should be at least 10 Mbps
- If your speed is below that you will need to find a publicly available network. There is a map of publicly available wifi hotspots in Washington.
- Computer, web camera, and microphone. There are resources available to provide technology for those in an Avista service area.
- Basic computer proficiency, including the ability to:
- Send an email
- Download or upload files from your desktop
- Do basic tasks in a word processing and spreadsheet program (Microsoft Word, Google Docs, etc.)
Course Schedule 2023
|Start Date||End Date||Application Deadline||Workshop Days (Thursdays)||Workshop Times (1 hour)|
|February 6||March 3||February 1, 2023, 11 AM PT||February 9, 16, 23 & March 2||Noon or 5 PM PT|
|March 6||March 31||March 1, 2023, 11 AM PT||March 9, 16, 23 & 30||Noon or 5 PM PT|
|April 3||April 28||March 29, 2023, 11 AM PT||April 6, 13, 20 & 27||Noon or 5 PM PT|
|May 1||May 26||April 26, 2023, 11 AM PT||May 4, 11, 18 & 25||Noon or 5 PM PT|
|June 5||June 30||May 31, 2023, 11 AM PT||June 8, 15, 22 & 29||Noon or 5 PM PT|
|August 7||September 1||August 2, 2023, 11 AM PT||August 10, 17, 24 & 31||Noon or 5 PM PT|
|September 5||September 29||August 30, 2023, 11 AM PT||September 7, 14, 21 & 28||Noon or 5 PM PT|
|October 2||October 27||September 27, 2023, 11 AM PT||October 5, 12, 19 & 26||Noon or 5 PM PT|
|November 6||December 9||November 1, 2023, 11 AM PT||November 9, 16, 30 & December 7||Noon or 5 PM PT|
Interested in taking the course?
Remote Work Course Application Form, click here
This form collects basic information about applicants interested in the remote worker certification course. You will be contacted by email with payment and registration information if there are spots available in your selected course.
We could not provide this opportunity without the contributions of our partners.
“This training really gave me that shine as a candidate. If you’re wanting to develop your skills, go in a different direction, or need a backup plan, this course could help you be the best that you can be.” Justine Salazar, course participant.