Division of Governmental Studies and Services
Serving as a model for successful University engagement to address critical issues facing Washington and the Pacific Northwest, DGSS:
- Provides data, processes, and expertise in support of strategic, operational decision-making, and policy initiatives
- Leverages the resources of Washington’s land-grant research University
- Mobilizes the enthusiasm, energy, and fresh perspective of WSU students
- Advances the knowledge-base and enhances capacity of stakeholders
- Offers impartial viewpoints, approaches, and services
- Serves as a key partner and collaborator with stakeholders
We make a difference beyond our projects – we use our unique project experience to contribute to national dialogue – to address issues throughout the region.
DGSS provides support for basic research and grant-related work for WSU faculty and graduate students. We have undergraduate internships available, and provide applied research opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students. Our graduate and undergraduate students have participated in disaster relief and recovery efforts in Washington state, conducted research in biased policing, automobile theft prevention, environmental sustainability, and several other projects. The Division works closely with faculty and students across the University, particularly in the School of Politics, Philosophy, and Public Affairs; the Department of Criminal Justice and Criminology; and the Edward R. Murrow College of Communication.